A well-designed pool deck enhances the overall appeal and functionality of your outdoor space and pool. More than the square footage, shape and elevation of the deck, the right material will go a long way toward ensuring your deck is safe, durable, and aesthetically pleasing. With a wide variety of pool deck surfaces available, each with its advantages and style, it’s important to take time and consider the best material for you! Let’s explore some of the best materials for your pool deck install or remodel.
What Are the Different Types of Pool Deck Surfaces?
The most popular pool deck materials are concrete, wood, and natural stone. These materials provide a durable deck that can be manipulated into the shape and style that best suits your needs.
There are pros and cons to each material. Learn more about each surface type:
Concrete Pool Decks
Concrete is a popular choice for pool decks due to its versatility and durability. Concrete can also be customized with different finishing techniques, such as stamping, staining, and scoring. Concrete is relatively low-maintenance, and with proper sealing, it can resist fading, staining, and cracking.
- Customizable appearance
- Durable and long-lasting
- Low maintenance
- May become very hot under direct sunlight
- Prone to cracking in extreme weather
- Can be a harder and unforgiving surface when it comes to falls or dropped items
Natural Stone Pool Decks
Natural stone, including travertine, limestone, and sandstone, adds an elegant and timeless look to your pool deck. It is prized for its unique patterns and textures, providing a luxurious feel to the space. However, the type of stone you choose will impact factors like heat retention and slip resistance.
- Aesthetically pleasing and luxurious
- Highly durable and long-lasting
- Good slip resistance when textured
- Natural cooling properties
- Can be expensive to install
- Requires regular maintenance to prevent staining
- May require sealing to prevent water damage, depending on the type of stone
Wooden Pool Decks
Wooden decks create a warm and inviting atmosphere around a pool. However, it's important to choose the right type of wood that can withstand exposure to moisture, sunlight, and chemicals commonly found in pools.
- Natural and inviting appearance
- Less slippery when properly textured
- Offers some level of shock absorption
- Requires regular maintenance, sealing, and staining
- Prone to rot and decay if not properly maintained
- Can become slippery when wet if not textured correctly
Pavers Pool Deck
Pavers are interlocking units made from various materials like brick, concrete, or natural stone, providing a classic look to your pool deck.
- Wide variety of design options
- Easy to replace individual pavers as needed
- Good slip resistance
- Generally cooler underfoot compared to solid surfaces
- Installation can be labor-intensive.
- Possibility of weed and grass growth between paver joints
- May require occasional resetting if not properly installed
Composite Wood Pool Deck
This synthetic option gives you the look of a wooden pool deck without maintenance. Pool owners love this option for its relatively low cost and minimal maintenance.
- Fade and rot resistant
- Typically, a less expensive pool deck material
- Easy to maintain and very durable
- A variety of color and design options
- Can become slippery when wet
- May appear less natural than traditional wood
Tile Pool Deck
For a highly customizable and stylish pool deck, opt for a tile surface! Tile pool decks are durable and give your pool area a fun and luxurious look. While they may be a more expensive pool deck material, many pool owners love the variety of style options and the ability to make their pool deck match their pool’s aesthetic.
- Stain resistant and easy to clean
- A variety of color and design options
- May become slippery when wet
- May be more expensive than other deck options
- Can be hard to maintain and repair due to limited resources—especially if you’re using a limited style
- Requires regular grout maintenance
Pool Deck Upgrades
There are many ways to customize your pool with a pool deck. But pool remodeling and customization don’t have to stop at your pool deck! From outdoor lighting installation to installing a slide or water feature, there are many ways to make your outdoor space comfortable and unique to your needs. Check out some of our favorite ways to upgrade your pool.
Discover Your Perfect Pool Deck Material with the Pros
Selecting the best material for your pool deck depends on multiple factors including your budget, design preferences, and climate. At ASP–America’s Swimming Pool Company – our team of pool deck professionals is ready to help you discover the perfect option for you!
Regardless of the material you choose, proper maintenance will ensure your pool deck remains a beautiful and functional part of your outdoor living space for years to come.
To get started with pool deck remodeling and repair services call our team at (866) 253-0455 contact us for a free quote!