Benefits of Learning to Swim (Early in Life):
1. Swimming Lessons Help Save Lives
2. Enhances Motor Skill Development and Coordination
3. Builds Stamina, Flexibility, and Muscle Strength
4. Increases Confidence In and Around the Water
5. Creates Positive Childhood Memories
ASP - America's Swimming Pool Company wants to make sure your child is ready for pool time fun. Water safety is crucial, and something we like to emphasize as many people get ready for pool opening season.
May is National Water Safety Month and now is the perfect time to make water safety a priority. Sharing water safety information with your child could help save their life!
Sit down with your child and review this pledge:
“I’m a Safe Swimmer” Pledge
I pledge to never swim alone.
I pledge to never play or swim near drains or suction fittings.
I pledge to always dive feet first.
I pledge to obey the pool rules.
Information from https://nwsm.phta.org/ is a great resource if you need help on where to start. Make learning about water safety fun for your little one!
Here are a few tips:
- Find a local center for your child to be involved in swimming lessons.
Research community pools or wellness centers that offer swimming lessons in your area. Some swim schools will offer classes to children as young as 6 months old.
- Read great books about water safety.
Visual stimulation can pique a child’s interest. Read books about water safety and discuss the importance of your child.
- Play out a situation.
What does a child love more than playing? Act out a water safety situation so he/she can better comprehend the message you are trying to convey. Show your child what they need to do or don’t do around the pool and let them know what they need to do in an emergency situation.
Why should you be concerned about teaching your child to swim?
- Drowning is the second leading cause of death for children under the age of five and most victims are ages 12-25 months old.
- 65% of victims drowned in a family pool.
- For every child that drowns, 4 are hospitalized for severe near-drowning injuries.
At ASP - America's Swimming Pool Company, we want to help you be proactive with your pool safety. A safety fence can reduce the risk of your child falling in the pool. Visit ASPPoolco.com/locations and contact the ASP location nearest you for more information about safety fence installation.
ASP is the most recognized swimming pool cleaning, repair, and renovation franchise system in the nation. Founded in 2002 by Stewart Vernon, the company was based on the belief that by providing a higher quality pool service at a reasonable price, the brand would raise the industry standards for pool service. In 2005, ASP began franchising and now services over 400 cities across the nation. For more information on ASP’s swimming pool franchise opportunities, visit ASPfranchising.com.